- Founded the International Network for Social Network Analysis in 1976-1977 and led it until 1988. Concomitantly, founded, edited and published INSNA's informal journal, Connections.
- Founded and led the University of Toronto's "Structural Analysis Programme" in the Department of Sociology, 1979–1982, which focused on studying social structure and relationships from a social network perspective. The Department of Sociology subsequently established the "Barry Wellman Award" for excellence in undergraduate research.
- Associate Director of the Centre for Urban and Community Studies, University of Toronto (1980–1984), where his research was based, 1970-2007.
- Council member and then President of two sections of the American Sociological Association:
- Community and Urban Sociology (1998-2000): led the team that founded the journal, City and Community;
- Communications and Information Technologies (2005-2006): membership increased from 95 to 303.
- Elected to the Council (2000) and then became President of the Sociological Research Association honor society (2004–2005).
- North American editor of Information, Communication and Society (2003-).
Read more about this topic: Barry Wellman
Other articles related to "offices, office":
... The group has offices in over 20 countries ... In Europe, Swiss Re has offices located in Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom ... In Asia, the group has offices in the following countries Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea ...
... The numbers of universities and colleges instituting offices of "enrollment management" have increased in recent years ... These offices serve to provide direction and coordination of efforts of multiple offices such as admissions, financial aid, registration, and other student services ... Often these offices are part of an enrollment management division ...
... The next year, savings offices opened in the state treasury departments in Moscow and St ... Over the next 20 years, about 45 such offices opened in nearly all of Russia's regional capitals ... The State Bank of Russia, or Gosbank, was formed in 1860 and the savings offices were soon transferred under its jurisdiction ...
... within the brick facade walls of University Center, a vast complex that houses the offices of the University, the Registrar, School of Hospitality as well as numerous other offices and ... The University Center A (East wing) Building A houses the offices of the Registrar, Financial Aid, Admissions and Dean of Students ... The Athletics Ticket office is also located here as are many of the offices of Seminole Boosters ...
Famous quotes containing the word offices:
“The city of Washington is in some respects self-contained, and it is easy there to forget what the rest of the United States is thinking about. I count it a fortunate circumstance that almost all the windows of the White House and its offices open upon unoccupied spaces that stretch to the banks of the Potomac ... and that as I sit there I can constantly forget Washington and remember the United States.”
—Woodrow Wilson (18561924)
“I made him a low curtsy and thanked him for the honor he intended me, but told him I had no kind of ambition to be his upper servant.... I then asked him how many offices he had allotted for me to perform for those great advantages he had offered me, of suffering me to humor him in all his whims and to receive meat, drink, and lodging at his hands; but hoped he would allow me some small wages, that I might now and then recreate myself with my fellow servants.”
—Sarah Fielding (17101768)
“He stood, a soldier, to the last right end,
A perfect patriot and a noble friend,
But most a virtuous son.
All offices were done
By him, so ample, full, and round
In weight in measure, number, sound,
As, though his age imperfect might appear,
His life was of humanity the sphere.”
—Ben Jonson (15721637)