- Fabien Barthez, football player, winner of the World Football Cup 1998 and born at Lavelanet
- Pierre Bayle (1647–1706), philosopher and writer, born at Carla-Bayle (then known as Carla-le-Comte; the commune changed its name in his honour)
- Théophile Delcassé (1852–1923), politician, minister, ambassador, born at Pamiers
- Jacques Dupont (born in 1928), cyclist, holder of the Olympic record, born at Lézat-sur-Lèze
- Gabriel Fauré (1845–1924), composer, born at Pamiers
- Jacques Fournier (1285–1342), bishop of Pamiers then of Mirepoix, pope under the name Benedict XII from 1336 to 1342 (Avignon), born at Canté near Saverdun
- Claude Piquemal (born in 1939), athlete and sprinter, Olympic medalist, born at Siguer
- Marie Laforêt, born Maïténa Marie Brigitte Doumenach (in 1939), actress and singer.
Read more about this topic: Ariège
Other articles related to "famous people":
... Coordinates 52°47′15″N 2°02′29″W / 52.78747°N 2.04148°W / 52.78747 -2.04148. ...
Famous quotes containing the words people and/or famous:
“I go by the great republican principle, that the people will have the virtue and intelligence to select men of virtue and wisdom [to the offices of government].”
—James Madison (17511836)
“Satan, what ails you? Wheres the famous tongue?
Thou onetime Prince of Conversationists?”
—Robert Frost (18741963)