Argentia

Argentia is a community on the island of Newfoundland in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is situated on a flat headland located along the southwest coast of the Avalon Peninsula on Placentia Bay. It is within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Placentia.

Originally settled by the French in the 1630s that fishing settlement was called Petit Plaisance, meaning "Pleasant Little Place". The name was retained in English (Little Placentia) when the French lost control of the area following the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. The census of 1706 records 149 individuals in 14 habitations. The community adopted its present name (unofficially in 1895 and officially in 1901) for the presence of silver ore in the Broad Cove region of the community. The name "Argentia" is Latin, meaning "Land of Silver" and was chosen Father John St. John, the parish priest at Holy Rosary Parish from September 18, 1895 to February 11, 1911. The Silver Cliff Mine operated until the early 1920s but was never profitable. Through most of the 19th century, the fishery was the lifeblood of the community; the Commission of government built a herring factory at Argentia in 1936.

The first church and school were established by Father Pelagius Nowlan in 1835. He was from Ireland and moved to Newfoundland as a missionary priest. In 1836, population was made up 484 people in 76 houses.

Read more about Argentia:  Railway Comes To Town, Timeline, Naval Station Argentia, New Investment

Other articles related to "argentia":

USS Pocomoke (AV-9) - Initial Atlantic Ocean Operations
4.3 of the Support Force, Atlantic Fleet, stationed at Argentia, Newfoundland ... On 9 January 1942 she departed Argentia en route to Norfolk, Virginia, where she entered the yard for alterations ... Following training and exercises she departed Boston, Massachusetts, 21 May for Argentia to act as flagship for Commander, Task Force 24, and tender for Commander ...
Naval Station Argentia - World War II Operations
... On August 28, 1941 Naval Air Station Argentia was commissioned ... NAS Argentia was built on the plateau atop the triangular peninsula adjacent to Naval Station Argentia's anchorage and shore facilities ... While NAS Argentia was nominally an independent facility from Naval Station Argentia, both facilities are largely viewed as one ...
USS Schenck (DD-159) - Service History - World War II
... On 15 September 1941, Schenck arrived at NS Argentia, Newfoundland, for duty escorting convoys carrying vital materiel to England ... She left Argentia with her first convoy on 29 September and when the United States entered World War II, the destroyer had escorted two convoys to a guarded rendezvous with British escorts off Iceland and ... She remained on the convoy route between Argentia and Iceland until April 1943, fighting heavy weather and German submarines ...
Argentia - Transportation - Ferry Terminal
... By the mid-1960s roads were upgraded between Argentia and the newly-opened Trans-Canada Highway at Whitbourne ... the MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood superferry (14 hours crossing time) on the Argentia summer run ... Also Argentia is home to Tacamor Call Centers, the first business of its kind in this area ...
Naval Station Argentia
... Naval Station Argentia (IATA NWP) is a former base of the United States Navy that operated from 1941-1994 ... It was established in the community of Argentia in what was then the Dominion of Newfoundland, which later became the tenth Canadian province (see ...