- Guido d'Arezzo, the most notable music theorist of the Middle Ages and inventor of modern music notation, was born there around the year 991.
- Bartolomeo di ser Gorello, author of the first town chronicle of Arezzo.
- Piero della Francesca, the painter, was born in the province of Arezzo and spent most of his life in the city.
- Petrarch, the poet.
- Pietro Aretino,author, playwright, poet and satirist who wielded immense influence on contemporary art and politics and invented modern literate pornography.
- Giorgio Vasari, the painter, architect, and biographer.
- Francesco Redi, a 17th century physician.
- Poggio Bracciolini and Michelangelo were born near the town.
- Negrita (band), a Rock, Blues, Latin Music Band.
- Daniele Bennati, cyclist.
- Federico Luzzi, Former ATP Tennis Player
- Luc Ferrari, Avant Garde Composer
- Dylan and Cole Sprouse, American actors, starring in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody and The Suite Life on Deck
Read more about this topic: Arezzo
Famous quotes containing the words residents and/or famous:
“Most of the folktales dealing with the Indians are lurid and romantic. The story of the Indian lovers who were refused permission to wed and committed suicide is common to many places. Local residents point out cliffs where Indian maidens leaped to their death until it would seem that the first duty of all Indian girls was to jump off cliffs.”
—For the State of Iowa, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)
“From time immemorial the men of the town have been famous seamen, and have divided their energies between fishing and hating the English.”
—Willa Cather (18761947)