Regnal YearsMain article: Japanese era name
Regnal years (Gengō) in Japan
- Regnal years are commonly used in Japan as an alternative to the Gregorian calendar. For example, in censuses, birthdays are written using regnal years. Dates of newspapers and official documents are also written using regnal years.
- Regnal years are changed upon the enthronement of each new Tennō since Meiji until the Postwar Constitution was enacted (1868–1947).
- But, in 1979, the Regnal Years Law was enacted, regnal years are changed upon the enthronement of each new Tennō once more.
- Until Keio, regnal years were changed on a whim.
- Regnal years since 1800
- Kansei (1789–1801)
- Kyōwa (1801–1804)
- Bunka (1804–1818)
- Bunsei (1818–1830)
- Tenpō (1830–1844)
- Kōka (1844–1848)
- Kaei (1848–1854)
- Ansei (1854–1860)
- Man'en (1860–1861)
- Bunkyū (1861–1864)
- Genji (1864–1865)
- Keiō (1865–1867)
- Meiji (1868–1912)
- Taishō (1912–1926)
- Shōwa (December 25, 1926 – January 7, 1989)
- Heisei (January 8, 1989–present)
- For example
- 1820 was the 3rd year of Bunsei.
- 1855 was the 2nd year of Ansei.
- 1900 was the 33rd year of Meiji.
- 1945 was the 20th year of Shōwa.
- 2000 was the 12th year of Heisei.
- 1848 was the 5th year of Kōka through March 31, but on April 1, it became the 1st year(Gan-nen) of Kaei.
- 1989 was the 64th year of Shōwa through to January 7, but on January 8, it became the 1st year(Gan-nen) of Heisei.
Read more about this topic: Ancient Japan
Other articles related to "regnal years, years, year, regnal year":
... Traditional Chinese years were not continuously numbered in the way that the BC/AD system is ... More commonly, official year counting always used some form of a regnal year ... Prior to this, years were not marked at all, and historical events cannot be dated exactly ...
... the pre–World War II period, Jimmu era (Kōki) is also used in common that the year of enthronement of first Tennō (Jimmu-Tennō) is defined as First Year ... as a private era, which starts from 1946 (1945 being the 0th postwar year) ...
Famous quotes containing the word years:
“In the end we beat them with Levi 501 jeans. Seventy-two years of Communist indoctrination and propaganda was drowned out by a three-ounce Sony Walkman. A huge totalitarian system ... has been brought to its knees because nobody wants to wear Bulgarian shoes.... Now theyre lunch, and were number one on the planet.”
—P.J. (Patrick Jake)