The Absecon Light is a coastal lighthouse located in the north end of Atlantic City, New Jersey, overlooking Absecon Inlet. It is the tallest lighthouse in the state of New Jersey and is the third-tallest masonry lighthouse in the United States. Construction began in 1854, with the light first lit on January 15, 1857. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1933 and although the light still shines every night, it is no longer an active navigational aid. The lighthouse is open to public visitation and for a small donation one may climb to the watch room and external gallery. A re-creation of the keepers' quarters was opened in 2002 and serves as a museum and gift shop. The original oil house now contains a Fresnel lens exhibit. Along with school and group tours, the Absecon Lighthouse also offers an overnight program for Scouts, winter arts program for children and a wide variety of special events throughout the year.
It was designed by George Meade and still retains its original first-order fixed Fresnel lens. The lens is made of lead glass and weighs 12,800 pounds. As the light was fixed (non-flashing), it does not have a landward segment allowing visitors to look up in the lens where the keepers entered it for maintenance.
Jack E. Boucher conceived and oversaw the preservation of the lighthouse in 1964.
The lighthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Historic American Buildings Survey, and the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
Other articles related to "absecon light":
... Absecon Lighthouse has a history museum located in the replicated 1925 Keeper’s House ... Exhibits include ocean life, shipwrecks, keepers and lighthouse history, local memorabilia and restoration photos ...
Famous quotes containing the word light:
“Sitting by a lamp more often brings
Not peace, but other things.
Beyond the light stand failure and remorse....”
—Philip Larkin (19221986)