- Eventual winner Shaun Murphy was 150–1 to win at the start of the tournament and became the first qualifier to win the tournament since Terry Griffiths in 1979. He also became the second youngest world champion after Stephen Hendry in 1990.
- John Parrott failed to qualify for the first time in his career, losing to Fergal O'Brien.
- Paul Hunter played his first match since being diagnosed with stomach cancer. He lost to Michael Holt 8–10.
- Mark Williams made the 6th 147 maximum break at the World Championships against Robert Milkins.
- Steve Davis made his first quarter-final since 1996.
- Peter Ebdon's slow play caused Ronnie O'Sullivan to lose concentration, and to recover from 2–8 down, to win the match 13–11. At one time of the match Ebdon took five minutes to make a 12 break, only 20 seconds shorter than O'Sullivan's maximum break in 1997.
- This was the last Embassy-sponsored World Championship due to new legislation preventing the advertising of tobacco products in the UK coming into force. 888.com took the sponsorship the next year and did so until 2008.
Read more about this topic: 2005 World Snooker Championship
Other articles related to "tournament summary, tournament, tournaments":
... Tournament Date Venue Weight Category Winner Runner-Up 11 April 2008 York Hall, Bethnal Green Heavyweight Martin Rogan David Dolan 12 September 2008 Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle Heavyweight Sam ...
... NOTE Schussler is senior speed skater since 2004 and does not participate at junior tournaments since ...
Famous quotes containing the word summary:
“I have simplified my politics into an utter detestation of all existing governments; and, as it is the shortest and most agreeable and summary feeling imaginable, the first moment of an universal republic would convert me into an advocate for single and uncontradicted despotism. The fact is, riches are power, and poverty is slavery all over the earth, and one sort of establishment is no better, nor worse, for a people than another.”
—George Gordon Noel Byron (17881824)