- April 7 – Dag Hammarskjöld is elected United Nations Secretary General.
- April 8 – Jomo Kenyatta is sentenced to seven years in prison for the alleged organization of the Mau Mau Rebellion.
- April 10 – Melbourne Knights is founded as Croatia SC in Melbourne.
- April 13
- Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royale in the United Kingdom.
- The German football team SG Dynamo Dresden is founded.
- April 16
- President Eisenhower delivers his "Chance for Peace" speech to the National Association of Newspaper Editors.
- A four-story building in Chicago belonging to the Habar Corporation catches fire, killing 35 employees.
- April 17 – Mickey Mantle hits a 565 foot (172 m) home run at Griffith Stadium in Washington D.C. Mantle's home run is believed to be the longest home run in baseball history by many historians.
- April 25 – Francis Crick and James D. Watson publish "Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid", their description of the double helix structure of DNA.
Other articles related to "april":
... Dates for Easter 1982–2022 Year Western Eastern 1982 April 11 April 1983 ... April 3 May 1984 ... April 1985 ... April 7 April 1986 ... March 30 May 4 1987 ...
2001 March 13 Hack 2002 March 25 The Chris Isaak Show 2001 April 4 Home Movies 1999 April 6 It's All Relative 2003 April 9 Life with Bonnie 2002 April 12 Space Ghost ...
... April through Summer – Kingdom of Hawaii unified ... April 27 – Beethoven composes his famous piano piece, Für Elise ...
... April 7 – William Lisle Bowles, English poet and critic (b. 1762) April 9 – William Prout, English chemist and physician (b. 1785) April 12 – Adoniram Judson, U.S ...
... April's birthstone is the diamond, which symbolizes innocence ... Zodiac signs for the month of April are Aries (astrology) (until April 19) and Taurus (astrology) (April 21 onwards) ...
Famous quotes containing the word april:
“Springs an expansive time: yet I dont trust
March with its peck of dust,
Nor April with its rainbow-crowned brief showers,
Nor even May, whose flowers
One frost may wither thro the sunless hours.”
—Christina Georgina Rossetti (18301894)
“An April Sunday brings the snow
Making the blossom on the plum trees green,
Not white. An hour or two, and it will go.”
—Philip Larkin (19221986)
“I, Alphonso, live and learn,
Seeing Nature go astern.
Things deteriorate in kind;
Lemons run to leaves and rind;
Meagre crop of figs and limes;
Shorter days and harder times.
Flowering April cools and dies
In the insufficient skies.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)