- July 3 – French troops occupy Rome; the Roman Republic surrenders.
- July 6 – The Danish Army beats the Prussian army at Fredericia, Jutland, thereby putting an end to the Prussian/Danish War until 1864.
- August 8 – Austria crushes the Hungarian rebellion with Russian aid.
- August 24 – Venice surrenders to Austrian troops after a 4-month siege.
- September 1 – The first segment of the Pennsylvania Railroad, from Lewiston, Pennsylvania to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, opens for service.
Main Site Subjects